Saturday, October 6, 2007

Target Practice

So my friend Bonnie and I go out to Fancy Creek Range on Saturday to shoot. I joked with the Range Master that like some people hire in people to exercise their horses, the missus hires someone to exercise her guns. I left the revolver at home because I hate it and had no intention of shooting it, but I took the .22 and the 9mm. Bonnie had her single action .38 which I have to admit is a sweet piece, but I frickin' jump every time it fires. The difference between the report of a .22 and a .38 is so noticeable when you are three feet to the side of the chamber. I did my best, but ended up mostly shooting when she was reloading. The .22 holds ten in the clip so I got in a good bit of shooting.

I suck with the 9mm. I only ran two clips through it, maybe three. All my shots went low and right. Well of course they did, the gun is sighted for someone else. When I talked to that someone else and mentioned how bad I did with the Luger, she said, "Well the sights aren't adjustable." WTF? A gun that you can't adjust the sights on? Does anyone make such a thing? No, they don't. It took me one minute of looking at the gun to see the three screws that obviously have to do with sight alignment. But I think I'll keep this piece of information to myself. See, if I adjust the sight to me and she sees how good I shoot with it, perhaps the gun will pass into my ownership...

As usual I did very well with the .22. It just doesn't pack enough power, but is good for practice. Since the range is open every Saturday for the next two months, I'll have to test my sighting on the 9mm and hone with the .22. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go clean the guns.

No comments: