Thursday, June 28, 2007

Celebrate!

We do a little thing called birthday night at AA. The last meeting of the month, we celebrate the sobriety milestones of everyone who's marked another increment of time in their sober life. This particular group celebrates 30 and 90 days; six and nine months; the first year and each annual period after year one. Last night we feted the Junies of which I am one. I have attained 10 years sober. I did not do it by myself. If we could do it by ourselves, there would be no AA.

I owe my sobriety to good sponsorship, the fellowship of AA, the 12 Steps, a benevolent higher power (so different from the God of my childhood) and the support of family and friends. Without even one of these tools, my sobriety would come to an end. They are vital to my survival as a humble, sober human being.

To everyone and everything that has had a hand in this journey I've taken, I say thank you. Let's do another 10 years...one day at a time.

No comments: